A staple in our house for many years is the perfect comfort food in these uncertain times.
Gluten-Free Loaded Baked Potato Soup Recipe:
- 6 Baby red potatoes
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 2/3 cup flour (I substitute gluten-free pancake mix)
- 1 cup of chopped onions
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 4 strips of cooked bacon cup up
- Bacon grease
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 (8 ounces) container of greek yogurt
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Bake potatoes in the oven for 1 hour at 400 degrees F.
- Please note to ensure the potatoes cook all the way through I poke holes in each, drizzle olive oil on for flavor and cover with tin foil.
Cook bacon and set aside bacon grease.
- Please note, I actually make my bacon in the oven. I lay all of my strips on an edged cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes on each side while the potatoes are baking.
In a large pot over medium-low heat, melt butter and bacon grease together. Add in the onion and stir together for 1 minute to soften the onions. Slowly add in gluten-free mixture and whisk together to make a roux. Cook for about 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually pour in the milk while stirring until all the milk has been added. Bring heat to medium and key stirring until the soup mixtures start to thicken.
Add in potatoes, salt, pepper, bacon, and cheese. Stir well and continue to heat for about 15 mins, allowing the flavors to blend. Stirring well, mix in the greek yogurt until blended with the soup.
- Please note, I cut up the potatoes and leave the skin on in the soup, but you could scoop out of the skin if you prefer.
I top each individual bowl with extra cheese (hello, Wisconsin), and this soup works great to be individually frozen to enjoy at a later date.
If you try, comment below!