This slow cooker recipe has become a staple in our house and so versatile! When I make this shredded beef I am able to divide into fourths and freeze the meat I don’t use for another day.
This meat is not only used for tacos, but nachos, breakfast burritos, and quesadillas!
Gluten-Free Mexican Shredded Beef Recipe:
- 3 pounds of beef chuck roast
- 1 onion diced
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 TBL tomato paste
- 2 TBL lime juice (or 1 fresh lime squeezed)
- 2 TBL chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp red chili flakes
- Mix together dry spices: chili powder, cumin, paprika, dried oregano, salt and chili flakes, and set aside
- Add diced onion, garlic, tomato paste and lime juice to the slow cooker and mix together (I use these slow cooker liners to save on dishes later). Add 2 tsp of the spice mixture and stir everything together.
- Take your meat out of the packaging and pat dry. Sprinkle and rub the rest of your dry spices over all your meat (front, back and sides).
- Place the meat on top of your onion mixture and set to cook on low for 7-8 hours or high for 4-6 hours.
- After meat has cooked (the meat should fall part, if it doesn’t and its too tough to shred, cook for an additional 30-60 minutes), use two forks to shred meat and remove the fat. Place shredded meat back into slow cooker and mixture with sauce.
- After meat is cooked, I divide into fourths, and freeze what I don’t use. Add to your favorite Mexican entrée to jazz up your Taco Tuesday!